Sunday, June 12, 2011

Saturday Night Shenanigans

So, around 7pm last night I got a call from my friend M, wondering what I was up to. At that point, I realized that I had been roaming among the wilds of Whole Foods for TWO HOURS. While I will be the first to acknowledge that I tend to lose time when shopping, two hours in a food store? That's a new one, even for me. Put in perspective though, it makes sense, as huge chunks of that time were spent looking for ingredients I haven't used before (or even knew existed. See: coconut flour). I was a little horrified, but at least I'd finally found all the ingredients I was looking for.

M proposed a trade, dinner for dessert. I felt like this was a pretty good deal. So I had a lovely dinner of vegetarian tacos, and presented M with the banana bread I had planned on making that evening.

Specifically, this banana bread:

The recipe is actually from the Duggar Family Blog. The blog itself is not run by the Duggars, but i think they are affiliated with them in some way. Regardless, it was highly tasty bread, and a recipe from a source I hadn't seen before. On the whole, it came out very tastily. My thoughts comments on the recipe
A) I added some cinnamon as well, might add more next time.
B) The bread rose *a lot*.
C) In my oven, it took longer to bake, but only about 5-10 minutes.
D) I'm always initially very disappointed with banana bread. It's not a baked good that is at it's best fresh out of the oven, I've wrapped the part of the loaf that I kept (most went home with M) and put it in the fridge to sit for a couple of days. I've found this is generally the best way to go with banana breads, gives the bananas time to get their strength up.

Today, at some point, I'm intending to try out a Gluten Free Strawberry Cupcake recipe I found, hence all the searching for odd ingredients. I've never done any gluten free cooking, so this should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment